14 January 2014
Monthly Theme - One big picture
The FIB team, and advisers within the community, is continuing to focus on the monthly theme of one big picture
"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is our of focus" - Mark Twain
A Harvard survey reported that 72% of respondents want their business leaders to be forward looking with a clear vision - and 88% of senior managers stress that they need their leaders to have a detailed big picture that they can all work towards. And yet, typical business leaders only spend about 3% of their time on envisioning.
Of course leaders must ask, “What’s new? What’s next? What’s better?” but they can’t present answers that are theirs only. All great leaders understand how essential it is to share in the creation of a vision. In a non-family business this can involve the employees and sometimes shareholders - but for a family business, the stakeholders are somewhat more complex and so creating just one shared vision can be quite challenging. The best way of achieving a positive process and set of outcomes is typically with the use of a facilitator - whether the professional advisers or another party that can help things along.
- The best way to lead people into the future is to connect with them deeply in the present
- Always be inclusive - if you want to bring the vision to life, you need complete buy in
- The only visions that take hold are shared & created by listening closely to others, appreciating their hopes & attending to their needs
- The best leaders are able to bring their people into the future as they engage in the oldest form of research - by observing the human condition
- Peter Senge said: "A shared vision is a picture that everyone in the company carries in their heads and hearts"
- You can't navigate a team towards somewhere they can't see. You all need to agree a target destination before getting the map out
- Don't assume everyone sees the same picture - check and check again.
- Don't be afraid to use external facilitation
To access the FIB Monthly Theme and tools, sign up as a member by emailing the team email@example.com.
Membership starts from just £20 plus vat per month for family businesses.